The Di-Gozd project is being carried out under the for sub-measure support for pilot projects and for the development of new products, practices, processes and technologies in the field of forestry (Official Journal of the Republic of Slovenia, No. 67/19).
The investment is co-financed by the Republic of Slovenia within the framework of the rural development program PRP 2014–2020 and the European Union from the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development - Europe invests in rural areas.
Good forest owners know their land very well, but they also have knowledge of how to manage the forest through two or three generations. Over the last few decades, this knowledge has been disappearing. Why? Because many forests have been inherited by multiple small, disinterested owners.
Fortunately, modern tools and devices allow owners to manage their forests easily and reliably. The first step to better management is to know more about what we have.
Digital inventory and forest-management automation
The Di-Gozd project is led by Kočevski les d.o.o. together with 12 other partners. Its goal is to digitise forest data and each forest plot. During the project, we will develop a mobile and web application that will enable forest owners to obtain data on their forest stands, review the development options of these, and assess the risk of managing their forest.
The owners will get the tools needed for:
- Informed decision-making and planning of mass forest use
- The forest's joint inventory
- Prognosis of forest development.
Development of mobile and web applications for digitisation of key forest management processes.
Environmental protection and sustainability
Caring for Slovenian forests is crucial for protecting our environment and preserving the quality of life in Slovenia.
By focusing on the end user, we will ensure the accessibility and usefulness of the tools for less tech-savvy users.
3D forest scans
We will collect forest data using modern mobile technology and specially developed tools.
Over the course of the project, we plan to develop a tool to improve forest management using state-of-the-art technologies. We aim to capture more precise data on owners’ existing land and how they can best manage it.
The project was based on the need for better management of the forest-wood chain in Kočevje, where the integration is being led by Kočevski les d.o.o. Its goal is also to learn how to apply good practices of forest management throughout Slovenia.
Project goals and KPIs
Digitally transform selected forest-management processes through the development of new innovative digital tools. These will:
- Digitise and promote selected processes for the monitoring, planning and organisation of forest-management activities
- Get validation from end users, while strengthening the ecosystem and improving the forest-wood chain (first in Kočevje region)
- Ensure the sustainability of the forest yield and forest management
- Create an effective, supportive environment at local, regional and national levels.
You can read more about the project in the article: Do you have a bear lair in your forest?
- Kočevski les d.o.o. (lead-partner homepage),
- Abelium d.o.o., Research and Development,
- CtrlArt, 3D production d.o.o.,
- Podjetniški inkubator Kočevje, javni zavod za podjetništvo, izobraževanje in druge dejavnosti,
- University of Ljubljana,
- Gozdarske storitve, Marko Kalič s.p.,
- Agricultural holdings: Albin Likar, Klemen Paulič, Valentin Tekavec, Davor Papež, Tomaž Žagar, Boštjan Janež, Jože Zidar.
- DIGITRUST - A digital transformation of a business with innovative digital solutions and a decentralized system